I have found feeding myself to be a bit of a challenge here. This should come as no surprise, since I often have this problem when I am in a new place. Every meal presents a new set of questions: Where can I buy food? What does this word mean on the menu (or on the side of the box)? What is least likely to give me food poisoning? So for the most part, I have been subsisting on pasta, cinnamon buns from the local American-style cafe, and sometimes actually get a full meal if someone invites me out to dinner.Tonight I decided to try something new-- I stopped at the local supermarket to buy some of their prepared food to reheat at home. After much deliberation, I ordered a slice of something that labeled "pechonochniy tort." I wasn't sure what that meant, but I know that "tort" means cake and "pech" means to bake, and the whole thing looked a lot like lasagna. I figured a "baked cake" that looked like lasagna couldn't be so bad, right? Well, I was halfway home, carrying my slice of "baked cake" when I realized that "pechen" actually means liver and I had definitely just ordered liver cake for dinner. Ouch. The liver cake is in the trash now, and it's looking like another night of pasta for me.
On the bright side, I managed to get 5 liters of water at the store, so I at least won't be thirsty for a while.
By the way, I have absolutely no idea why the picture here is sideways. It must be a glitch in uploading the image to the blog, but I can't figure out how to fix it...

No comments:
Post a Comment