Wednesday, February 20, 2008

How many grad students does it take to change a lightbulb?

For about a week now, I have been living with no light in the kitchen of my apartment. The day after I moved in, the bulb in the kitchen lamp burnt out and I haven't managed to replace it. Not for lack of trying, either. I've been carrying around this burnt-out lightbulb in my bag every day for a week and have stopped at every grocery store I can find to try to find a replacement. I have tried three separate stores and they all claim to carry this particular bulb, but are currently out of stock. (I somehow doubt this... It seems unlikely that there is a rush on lighbulbs across Almaty this week...) In the meantime, I have been cooking dinner in the dark. Sometimes I turn on the tv in the kitchen for extra light. I suppose this is a new twist on the old joke-- Instead of "how many grad students does it take to change a lightbulb?" the real question is "how long does it take a grad student to figure out how to change a lightbulb?"

The good news is that in the search for a new lightbulb I have discovered a new grocery store close to my house. This supermarket was recommended in my guidebook, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Last week I went to the intersection it was supposedly located at and even walked a full block in every direction looking for it, but to no avail. I finally found it today. It turned out to be hidden behind several rows of kiosks and food stalls and has virtually no name on the front of the building. But it carries a huge selection of US products (ShopRite brand!) and the prepared food looked very good. No liver cake in sight-- Hooray!!

No comments: