Sunday, May 25, 2008

My Kazakh Television Debut




This morning I woke up early and headed to the Khabar television station studios to be on television. No, my television appearance wasn't because I've gained such notoriety or fame... and it wasn't to discuss my research. I was on a game show! My friend is a producer for the Kazakh Lotto and asked me to come to today's episode to be in the studio audience. It was an odd hybrid of the lottery and The Price is Right. They sell lotto tickets for this during the week and we, as the studio audience, received free tickets so we could follow along and look interested. Just like the regular lotto, they drew numbers, called them out, and showed them on the bottom of the tv screen. And, drawing from The Price is Right, they had lots of flashy lights, an enthusiastic studio audience composed entirely of retired people and college students (and me), and they had the prizes on the studio floor-- including a couple cars. I'm pretty sure they showed me on tv, because they kept putting one of the cameras directly in front of me. So I made sure to smile and look excited and engrossed in my lottery card, even though I didn't actually quite understand the rules of the game. Unfortunately, I didn't win (as far as I could tell), but I guess that is ok. What would I do with a brand new car here anyway? The half hour live broadcast included several rounds of lottery drawings, a performance by a famous Kazakh musical group, and an official presentation of a million dollars to a woman who won the lotto a few weeks ago.

No comments: