


Just a quick note update on my housing saga. I gave the bathroom sink-less apartment my best try for a week and then decided to ditch out and find a new place. Perhaps the last straw was the cockroach infestation, but I will spare you the details on that one. So on Saturday, I rented a new apartment--my third apartment in four weeks. I then wandered the city looking for enough ATMs to put together the cash for a month's rent (which also involved calling my banks to find out when their business day ended so I was no longer over my daily maximum withdrawal), wandered the city further looking for the exchange points with the best exchange rate (so I could change the Kazakh tenge from the ATM into US dollars required by the landlord), and packed and moved my belongings into the new place. Phew, it was a long day.
Now I am living in a very comfortable apartment with almost all the modern amenities of home. In short, it is amazing. The apartment is in the city center, a block from a nice grocery store, in a neighborhood that feels more like a European city than Soviet or Central Asian. Of course, my electricity problems continue to plague me. Within 2 hours of moving in, the electricity blew out in the apartment and it took about a day to get that back up and running. But it is all fixed and life is good.

1 comment:
Looks really great Jody. I am so glad you have finally found a really good place. I am a real slacker for not writing sooner. I do think and pray for you often - but still no excuse for not chiming on now and again. Great to hear from you and glad things are going so well. We miss you in Berkeley!
Post a Comment